Friday, April 26, 2013

A Haunted House (2013)

My wife brought this home last night, so I watched it with her. I've never been a fan of the "Scary Movie" series, so I wasn't expecting to like this at all. I ended up laughing heartily throughout.

This is a spoof of those "Paranormal Activity" movies, so the plot lines are similar. If you've seen those movies, you know what's happening in this one. Marlon Wayans isn't one of my favorite actors, to say the least. I've really only seen him in "Requiem for a Dream" (which he was decent in) and these Wayans Brothers comedies. He's always playing "the stoner", but outside of Cheech & Chong, drug "comedies" don't work for me. I don't smoke pot, so I can't relate to the humor, but if real life "stoners" are even half as stupid as they're portrayed in movies, I've done well avoiding their company throughout my life. There was one such scene in this movie and it did sort of kill things for me, like they had to insert it "just because", but I laughed often before then and occasionally after. Even Cedric "The Entertainer" managed to get a couple of laughs out of me, and I don't think that's ever happened before. Some of the side players were funnier than the lead roles, but the casting was nice overall. Pacing was nice, too.

Yes, this was stupid, but it made me laugh, so it succeeds as a comedy. Maybe it was just the mood I was in, but other than a few of eye-roll inducing scenes, I enjoyed this. I have no problem giving this my recommendation if you're looking for a fun way to kill 90 minutes. This wasn't "good", but it was funny. Much funnier than the trailer shows. If you're easily offended by racist comments, black and gay stereotypes, this one isn't for you.

3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment